The flag of Shropshire (Salop) was registered in March 2012, The flag is a banner of the arms
of the local county council, which were awarded in 1895. These arms, are themselves derived from the arms of the county town, Shrewsbury
While the feline heads appeared in the fifteenth century, on the seal of the Corporation of Shrewsbury, their precise origin is unknown. It is speculated that they may have been fashioned from the royal arms
of England or based on the Arms of the De La Pole family
or those of the local Pontisbury family.
The cats’ heads are colloquially known as “loggerheads”; one theory behind this unusual term is that it refers to the practice of carving animal heads on the battering point of a log, used as a battering ram. Interestingly, a small town by the same name of “Loggerheads “ sits just across the county boundary…
View original post 635 more words